Thursday, October 28, 2010

One-Way Communication

My Dad has just spent the last few days in and out of hospital because of chest pains. The ECGs and the blood tests have been found to be 'ok' but/so the doctors think that there may be symptoms of a mild stroke.

He did not tell my sis or me anything about it until we saw the plasters on his hand from where blood was extracted for the tests. Said he, "Unlike all of you, I know how to take care of myself. See? I go to the hospital myself and do not trouble anybody."

As he was irritated and a little animated, I did not want to argue further. But I think what he is doing is the anithesis of taking care of one's self. To me, when you have an ailment, you attend to it immediately. And you let those who are close to you in on it so that they can help - maybe no one in your immediate circle is an expert but they may know others who are. Or they may know other avenues by which help could be sought. And if they do not know maybe they can make arrangements or tailor their actions to create an environment condusive for recovery. If anything, it is better, I think, to let people know early rather than drop a bombshell later.

Taking care of yourself is not smoking 10-20 cigarettes a day despite your age and health problems, falling ill and then picking up the pieces yourself. Taking care of yourself is letting your immediate circle know early so that everybody can work together to solve the problem.

No comments:

Post a Comment