Friday, October 15, 2010

Macau-Hong Kong Double-Bill - Macau

All right. I know you people are asking why I need to go to Hong Kong so often. As I have repeatedly stated, it has to do with an incredible feeling which infused me with a thirst for life when I first set foot there in 2008. Maybe it had really more to do with the circumstances then, but part of me wants to believe that it was the place. So there.

Besides, I had one free night's stay at a Hyatt Hotel which I had to use up before the end of August and the Grand Hyatt Hong Kong was as good a place as any to spend a weekend sojourn. And as further justification, I was going this time with my Dad, he who toiled for more than three decades to bring me up and who, although semi-retired, to this day still does most of the cooking and laundry. A free trip for him is thus hardly an adequate show of filial piety.

My Dad's presence however, did have a heavy bearing as to where we went. You see, I originally hoped to go to Shenzhen for the cheap and good food before drifting down to Hong Kong but my Dad favoured the...investment opportunities that nestled in Macau so oh well... Filial piety right?

Only problem was that by the time it was confirmed that my Dad was coming, I had already booked my flight for Hong Kong. No problem though, nothing modern transportation and a little planning couldn't solve. So after touching down in Hong Kong, it was a quick transfer to the airport ferry service to Macau. Haven't they thought everything through?





For some inexplicable reason, there was a thick haze pervading Macau that day. But all the same, the Macau city skyline beckoned invitingly.




There is a real surfeit of top-class hotels in Macau and that fact is not lost on the traveller the minute he disembarks...



But I had already pre-booked my hotel - the Grand Hyatt Macau at the 'City of Dreams'. Bonus loyalty points, see? Here are some shots of the place as well as the hotel room.








For dinner, we when to Rua da Cunha (Guan Ye Jie in Chinese) for mixed shark's fin and seafood soup. The taste was above average but the ingredients were plentiful, with there being a real surfeit of seafood and shark's fin.

We also had high quality bird's nest. The texture was a little to fine and the taste a little underwhelming for me but my Dad says that this is the mark of top bird's nest so who am I to argue with the old man?



No comments:

Post a Comment