Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Chestnuts!!!

In September, I went to watch the comedy-musical Chestnuts. Chestnuts is a play which recaps the major events and highpoints of the year that has just passed. In it, actors sing, spoof and poke fun at headline-grabbers all throughout the world, though there is naturally a focus on events close to the hearts of Singaporeans.

I thought I was going to break new ground this year - indeed I was determined that, having watched Chestnuts in 2008 and 2009 and being so thoroughly awed that I watched both editions TWICE, this would be the year when I watched it only ONCE. I was wrong... This was how the conversation with Jac went a day after I watched Chestnuts the first time this year....

*Ring ring...*
Jac:- Hello. How are you?
Me:- (In a serious tone)Jac. You know I've never begged you before. I'm going to now.
Jac:- Oh my God. It's money right? You had a bad quarrel? Problem at work? I think it's money. How much do you need?
Me:- Far worse. I know you said you do not like plays. But please. I'm begging you - I watched Chestnuts yesterday. It's so good if you watch it I think you'll watch every year.
Jac:- (Mightily relieved at not being pecuniarily affected)Ok, but only because you begged me.

I reproduced the conversation because Jac had been steadfastly refusing my entreaties to watch Chestnuts since 2008 and it was only by having her believe that a catastrophe of seismic proportions had taken place that she agreed to go watch with me - more out of relief than anything else. I dare say, however, that she will watch the next edition on her own volition.




This is a picture of me at the intermission. It is by far not the most flattering shot you could get of me but I think it is an apt advertisement for the show, which runs yearly.



Unlike so many plays where the actors are inaccessible, for Chestnuts, all the cast stayed back after the show and mingled freely with the audience. I was very happy to get a picture with Jonathan Lim, one of the actors and the one who wrote a lot of the songs and script. This guy's crazy but so brilliant.



I also managed to get a picture (on the second day) with Judee Tan and Dwayne Lau, who were no less spectacular. Pity about the picture quality though (blame Jac!)

No comments:

Post a Comment