Thursday, February 10, 2011

Winter Escapade - Zhuhai - Day 1

As I described in my last post, Gongbei bus terminus borders the Macau crossing and is super crowded - on a Saturday evening at least. There is also a huge underground shopping complex of which I managed to get a few shots. But they have somehow disappeared yet again from my camera's memory - so sway.

Anyhow, there was a fat chance of getting a cab over there so we had no choice but to accept the entreaty of a street tout, who offered us a ride to the hotel for 60Yuan. We thought that was ok, not that we had any choice but when we got into the taxi, the driver said, "Wah! If you had come to me directly I would have only charged you 30 Yuan!"

And that was how we got to the hotel. It was listed as 5-star but it was nowhere near the standard of Hyatt. Different cities, different ratings, I guess. (The good thing is that it was nowhere near the price as well). Oh sorry, where were my manners. It was called Harbour View Hotel and was situated at Lovers Road in Jida district.




Zees wuz ze lobbae...



And ze room.... Mes parents etaient exactement comme toujours...





You might have guessed that they were staring intently at the TV. Well, my Dad fervently wished Li Na to win the Australian Open while my Mum had a soft spot for Kim Clijsters. Myself, I was not going to waste my holiday watching tennis, final or not, so I went for a stroll along the beach.

This is the walkway abutting the seaside, which, despite the slight chill, was pleasant to stroll on at that time of day.



This was the beach. I'm happy to say there were no crazies, machos or masochists taking a dip in the beautiful waters....




But there were people flying kites, which was a nice site.





This looks almost exactly like the picture in Wikitravel, except that it's taken during the day. Wikitravel said that the plane used to be Mao Ze Dong's personal jet. I googled and found that there was some basis to that claim! I say that because I also found an article saying that this was absolutely not true. Anyway, I thought it made for a nice shot.



For dinner, we went to Zhuhai's Seafood Street. I found the concept very interesting. Here, you didn't go to a restaurant to select your seafood, though there were many. You went to any of many fresh seafood sellers in an adjoining back alley, selected your seafood, and then went into the restaurant of your choice. So, in case I was not clear. If you like, you can go to your favourite fresh seafood seller, buy your stuff and then walk right to the other end of the alley, pop into your favourite restaurant, then ask them to cook the grub for you. Ie. Division of functions - seafood sellers provide the seafood, restaurants - the cooking. Ie. More choice...

Anything but actually. The minute you step into the lane, you are accosted by people recommending their restaurant who will then follow and pester you all the way while you decide where you want to eat. Not the best circumstances under which to engage in a considered exercise of free will. And then once you have selected your restaurant, the helpful assistants will take you to THEIR favourite stall, recommending you stuff which you will have to bargain down all over again. Again, good system but you are at a distinct disadvantage if you are not a local. I'd take Le Yuan Lu in Shenzen anytime.







We finally settled on a restaurant and had these... Vegetable soup was on the house. Sorry I only took it when it was half-finished...



A crab. This was the most expensive item, costing, if I remember correctly, way above 100Yuan. When the restaurant girls looked at it, they said "Ooh, it's missint two claws!" I was so mad.



Veggies. Solely for my parents' benefit.



And snails. Look a little bit like Gong Gong. My Dad says they are not as good. I say they are better. Maybe it's the flavouring...




Scallops. For 30Yuan, we thought they were a steal. But don't forget that's only the price of the 'raw materials'.



Oysters. Now these guys cost 10yuan a piece but they were huge - around the size of my palm and were delicious the way they were cooked.




Sole fish. This was not too bad at all.



Total cost of the cooking was around 150Yuan, if I remember correctly, which I thought was quite ok.

Next, we ventured to Lian Hua Lu to soak in the atmosphere. Reminds me a bit like Lao Jie in Shenzhen and Shang Xia Jiu in Guangzhou... But with its own unique flavour. Broader, more ordered streets? I don't know.





And that was that for Zhuhai - for the day...

No comments:

Post a Comment