Sunday, February 6, 2011

Winter Escapade - Hong Kong/ Shenzhen

Heys to y'all who read my blog. I've been busy editing a book so...

Anyhow, my stats show that most traffic to my underwhelming site comes from Jac's blog The Slog Reviews so I figured that most of you read both blogs conjunctively.

I digress. The significance of the above allusions however, is that I suppose most of you know that Jac's been plagued with mental angst these few days/weeks. Well, she's not the only one. But while she still has to grit her teeth and go back to the office to clear her backlog (and skeletons in the closet), I have no such hindrances.

It was with that in mind that I, refusing to consider my next course of action 'head-on', chose to run away to China for the weekend. I had just been to Malaysia with my Dad the week before, meaning that my Mum who had flown in from Vietnam over that same weekend, was met by nobody at the airport. So it would have been a wee bit unfair if I went with my Dad alone for this jaunt, though I had significant misgivings about holidaying at the same time with the two of them.

I'll just summarize and say that my parents have not seen eye to eye for a couple of decades already. Though they are the best of friends and though I believe that deep down they love each other, their relationship is a complicated one, as one can see from this picture taken at the onset of the journey at Hong Kong airport. A two chair space is the norm and just about right...



Yup, I set foot in Hong Kong for what I believe was the 11th time in two years - but this time only because the cheapest planes flew there (meaning that we would have to find our way overland to China). As before, I will only put in shots which I have not posted before. For those of you who haven't been there, note that if you travel via a budget airline, there is high chance you'll have to board one of these buses to get to the arrival hall instead of the normal connecting walkways...



These are pictures of the airport....




Remember I said that we were merely passing through Hong Kong on our way to the Mainland? Apparently, lots of people do the same thing, which is why they have these counters somewhere at the basement specializing in Mainland transport.



Anyhow, we were persuaded to fork out HK160 a piece to get into a car which would bring us us past the border. I thought it was a bit steep but was told that we would not have to get down for immigration checks at the border - something like Woodlands Checkpoint.

But first, some err... scenery shots of the um... Hong Kong expressways, which are quite good actually, making for a quick transfer...




This be the border checkpoint....



And this is what the roads look like just past the border at Shenzhen...



What the ticket seller didn't tell me, however, was that they would drop us off first at a bus terminus in Shenzhen while we waited for our next ride to bring us to wherever we wanted to go. We waited 45 minutes. I wasn't happy.



Oh, apologies. I forgot to mention that we were on our way to Dongguan. We could have taken a direct bus from Hong Kong Airport, but I wanted to show my parents Shenzhen's 'Seafood Street' - Le Yuan Lu.

I never fail to head there whenever I journey to Shenzhen but this was the first time I went there during the day.







These were some of the dishes we had....Scallops, vegetables and abalone, which cost 5 Yuan a piece (which my Dad said was cheap).






We also had crab, steamed pomfret and black chicken soup. I took pictures of all of that but I just can't find them in the camera. Voodoo, I tell you.

After lunch, it was onward ho to Dongguan via the speed train in Shenzhen...

No comments:

Post a Comment