Sunday, February 20, 2011

Trial! (And Error?)

For the first time, in three years, I am preparing for a trial! Well, sort of. There is a Ministry of Manpower hearing concerning a Work Injury Compensation Act dispute arising out of an industrial incident.

Since the claimant is represented by a lawyer, the Commissioner suggested, after finding out I was legally trained, that the hearing be conducted according to the rules of regular civil procedure.

Nostalgic, but challenging nonetheless. For I never liked trials and advocacy. And it has been so long.

Anyhow, all this meant that around a week ago, we had to go to a construction site to interview some of our witnesses. It was quite an experience, safety helmets and all...




Back to trial. You can tell from the pictures that my co-counsel looks far more confident than me. He probably doesn't know that with my record in trials, I probably need a safety helmet for the hearing itself.

Wish me luck.

2 comments: