Sunday, December 4, 2011

NUS MBA Business Study Trip To Korea - Thurdsay

Hi Everybody,

For those (two?) of you who have been conscientiously following my blog, I know it's been a long while since I talked about the Korea trip... And so much has happened since. But I don't like to leave things hanging, so for all it's worth, I'll finish writing about it...
______________________________________
The next day's visit was to Korean National Oil Company. The presentation was impressive and informative but we did not get to tour any facilities, hence the dearth of pictures...



What was memorable about this experience, however, was the lunch to which our hosts brought us to at a quaint looking restaurant.



It was a traditional Korean in a traditional Korean setting....





It was as sumptious as it was unique but I as I got into an animated conversation with one of the cuter Korean executives, I hardly took any pictures.



Our afternoon saw us heading to CJ Entertainment & Media, which has products as diverse as movies, computer gaming, television shows, MTV and... animal feed! It is best known for their television and other electronic media offerings however. That got a lot of our group interested, what with the recent popularity of K-Pop and Korean entertainment culture.




These are panels depicting key moments in CJ Entertainment's history...




And this is an atrium where a whole host of their shows are aired simultaneously...




I thought this was innovative. If I am not wrong, one can see the visuals for well-known sequences of popular movies by flipping through the pages in rapid succession....



Remember I said that the CJ group is quite a big conglomerate with diverse interests? Well, they are also into the food business, having several chains throughout Korea. And since the CJ studio is a place where fans can come to hopefully catch a glimpse of their idols, what better way to make their wait more comfortable (and profitable) by having an underground food court. I know the pictures look unspectacular but it is the concept that is noteworthy (I mean, try getting something substantial to eat at Caldecott Hill if you're a meagre member of the public).




We were then taken on a tour of their offices and given a presentation.





The highlight of the trip however, was being let into a live studio performance of Mnet Countdown, which is a Korean version of MTV. The famous Korean girl group Kara performed - I think I left my heart at the show. Unfortunately, pictures were not allowed... I'm not sure if any of my group sneaked any. As usual, I'll check and post them later if I can get them.

That was that for the company visits. As I was struck by a sudden wave of tiredness and forgetfulness, I do not have lots of pictures of the night activities. I do know that I ate an 'egg cake' bought from a street vendor as a prelude to dinner (quite nice but an acquired taste...If I recall the cake base is sweet but the egg is salty)...



And I do know that dinner was grilled Korean pork/ beef on Aaron's recommendation.





The meat was fresh, succulent and because of Aaron's method of grilling (extra long), crispy. I guess it was healthy too because I, who always wish my meat highly-flavoured, wish it was significantly saltier.

And that, as I said, was about that...

No comments:

Post a Comment