Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Surmounting Cat-astrophes

If At First You Don't Succeed, Try, Try Again....

That is one of the philosphies which I truly subscribe to. I believe that there are few things more noble than perseverence and the human spirit.

So it is with a chuckle that I say that these are qualities which are epitomized no better than my pussy (I could have said "Cat" but then who would read my blog?).

It was in the wee hours of a Saturday night, when my 72-year-old Dad, seized with a bout of fatigue and sadism, decided to retire himself for the night without retiring the sofa to my ever patient cat, who, for a few hours, had been waiting with admirable forebearance nearby for my Dad to vacate the chair.

Maybe my Dad knew that too, and decided cheekily to frustrate my poor pussy (yes, I'm calling him that again). So he put various paraphernalia on the chair so as to impede the long-suffering feline. Imagine his surprise and disappointment when he saw what had happened...



But my cat is, if anything, stoic and uncomplaining, so he was not going to let a few contraptions underfoot prevent him from enjoying his repose at his favourite spot.



So there he was... Resting contentedly...

Until my Dad came out from his room to use the toilet and decided to watch a bit of television hereafter....He spotted little fluffy looking pleadingly but showed little sign of being moved as he shoo-ed the cat away and reclaimed his rightful spot on the throne...

But it was only a while before the old man felt sleepy again. But, cognizant of my cat's resourcefulnes and fortitude, he decided to see how far my pussy (yes, all you random word searchers, this is for you) would go. So he put an even bigger obstacle for kitty to surmount....



Most people would expect that latest setback to be an outright CATastrophe for kitty. And for a while, it looked like he felt that way too, as he retreated to a corner to ponder life and its blatant unfairness, looking patently rueful...




But No, this cat of mine does not cry over spilt milk, or an overturned chair, for that matter.

If you're going to be hard done by, at least go down, or out, fighting.... Here he is, hatching his latest strategy....

Notice the blaze of determination in his eyes?



"I think I've got it," he seems to be thinking...



"All right... On the count of three"...



"And upppp...."



"Ugh... Not too cool like this..."



"But hmmm....This is better...."



"If I just shift that paw a bit...."



"It's quite comfy actually...!"



"Let's see if I can lie down... I can!"



"A-aahh...Mmmph..."



I'm full of admiration for my cat. But my Dad just bought a few unopened durians home yesterday. If I were kitty, I wouldn't walk about looking too obviously smug...

No comments:

Post a Comment