Tuesday, December 7, 2010

A Moving Experience

Hi everybody, in the off chance that it matters to anybody, I have a very valid reason why I have not been blogging.

You see, my department is in the process of shifting premises. We were giving very short notice that we would be pulled out of our snug niches and transplanted to another building which the company had just acquired. That was not good. Because being a person unendowed with a penchant for neatness, I had allowed my files to accummulate on my desk. Having to pack them all at one shot was a daunting task....

Ok, this picture is one of my desk on a very bad day... Compare it though, with my colleague's in the background.



I was not the only one with problems though... In a matter of days, the entire work area starting piling with boxes and rubbish bags as all of us sought to do away with stuff that we never had time to jettison - and basically anything that we could do away with, so as to limit the amount of stuff we would have to bring along.





The plan was to move to a 'swing area' on the floor above while the new premises were being renovated and the finishing touches to what we were assured would be a spanking new workplace were put in.

While we wait with bated breath, it has to be said that in the swing area, I have a desk roughly the size of a classroom table - a reduction of up to 5 times my previous workplace. We are sat in a row next to each other, with a computer screen and various electronic paraphenalia preventing what would otherwise be an unimpeded view of the colleague sitting opposite us.



While this is great for camaraderie, for I work with a great group of people, it does make it harder to do certain things... Like, err.. blogging during office hours...

No comments:

Post a Comment