Sunday, April 24, 2011

Of Twists And Turns......

Providence is a strange thing sometimes... And all too often, the one thing we can be sure of is that there are so few things we can truly be sure of.

And keeping with the tumult of recent days, as new facts are uncovered, my friend and I are once again not sure which MBA we are going to do.

So, in keeping with character, my friend tried to find some signal from the cosmos and went to a temple to pose the question to the heavens. I don't really know what people do there - draw lots, flip coins or something else - but the results she obtained were equivocal, to say the least. In order to tame the ferociousness of chance, she asked the question in a best-of-three sets format and the results were:- 1st set to NTU, 2nd set tied, 3rd set to NUS, which leaves one with an effective tie (Of course, the purists would argue that the methodology is flawed because then the game isn't really best-of-three but maybe that is best for all concerned, for it would be quite arbitrary to leave a major decision to random movements of inanimate objects).

Having finished with the quantitative testing, my friend decided to do something more qualitative and went to draw a 'Fortune Lot'... And this is what it said:-

The chosen lot:

An unsheathed sword will be bright if its sheath is clean. A wise man can see its beauty and began to appreciate it. In time, those around will do likewise.

Interpretation: Good

One is appreciated even from afar. A Benefactor comes along to teach. Future dealings lead to success.


I'm glad she picked a good lot (does it apply to her only or is there a trickle down effect to me, since I'm doing the MBA with her) but does it really tell us whether we should do our MBA at NUS, the National University of Singapore, or NTU - Nanyang Technological University? I am also glad that I did not accompany her to the temple, for oracle visits appear to me to be a tad stressful at times....

No comments:

Post a Comment