Tuesday, April 19, 2011

And The Winner Is....

"So, as I was saying, while the curriculum seems more rigorous here, that has to be balanced with the fact that we would have more flexibility at the other place.... Hey, could you pay attention and concentrate?!?!" I rasped.

"Aw... But do let me watch this stretch first... Ooh... Ann Kok...."

Obviously, the Star Awards were proving quite a distraction to the small matter of deciding which university we were going to do our post-graduate degree in so I decided not to compete for my friend's attention.

I thus got up, went to the table and grabbed the envelope enclosing Jac's wedding invitation card (more on that event at later time), which was addressed to "Lih Wei & Partner" (despite the fact that I be veritably free and footloose at this moment. ie NO partner, metaphorically or literally) and passed it to her.



"What's this?" she asked, puzzled.

"It's an envelope. Since you're so engrossed in the Awards, let's get into the groove. Take your time, think hard and then when you have decided which university you want to go to, write the answer and pass it to me. I will open it and announce the winner Oscar-style."

"And you're gonna use this envelope?" she asked.

"Yeah. Why not. In this enterprise at least, we're partners, embarking on a costly adventure which may be profitable or a waste of time...."

"Um... Ok... But what do I write my answer on?"

I thought for a moment, picked up another small piece of paper, and passed it to her. "Here, write your answer on the back of this because whatever it is, our choice will feel very much like a gamble, a bet. And if you can, give a summary of your reasons.... You make the decision, because I think I'm ok with either university,"



And just like that, the responsibility having shifted to her, she began to feel the pressure. She did not enjoy the scintillating Awards Show after that and could not make the decision that night. The next day, gathered once more at my place, she read and re-read the core curriculum of both universities, zipped to and fro between their respective websites and checked out assiduously both sets of time-tables. It's amazing sometimes the effect a little weight on one's shoulders has. From a disposition of general nonchalence, her attitude changed to one of utmost concern and then to significant frustration. "Arrghhh. My choice keeps changing..." she complained.

I, on the other hand, was now absolutely serene, having made peace with myself that I'd be happy either way and having delegated the responsibility of choosing to her.

And then at 9pm, the results were out. And the winner (or loser, depending on which way one sees it) is.........



It was a tough choice and we hope we'll be happy with it. Wish us luck.

1 comment:

  1. I know you guys will be happy with your choice. There is no such thing as a wrong choice, only what you want.

    ReplyDelete