Thursday, March 24, 2011

Birthday In Vietnam - Part 2

The fact that the wedding ended early meant two things. On the slightly downside, it meant that it was early enough for my Mum to decide that it being my birthday, and she being connected to me (and thus my lucky birthday star), it would be a good idea for her to go back to the Sheraton to max out her jackpot winnings. On the plus side, it meant that I didn't need to go back straight away to my Mum's place and could walk around the city at night.

As I said before, Ho Chi Minh City is a city of contrast and that is obvious in the city itself where opulent buildings with luxurious interiors like the Saigon Hyatt stand out against the backdrop of ceaseless traffic...



While across the road, a very functional but bustling and thriving food business provides a hearty supper for many a hungry city-goer.



Indeed, I think there is a charm to Saigon's streets at night, ranging from the roadsdide foodstalls that seem to inhabit every corner...



To the pub (and therefore Western tourist) areas....



And the wide boulevard outside the old Opera House which teems with traffic late into the night.



Incidentally, my Mum actually did win a few hundred dollars more and went back happy. Which is why early in the morning the day after, she wanted to continue the streak despite my heavy protestations that it was no longer my birthday. That did mean that I got to walk around again and this time chanced upon a shopping centre containing a supermarket.



Now, I always like visiting foreign supermarkets as I think they make for a good starting point for comparison of prices of basic, common products. Besides that, we also get to see what unique stuff they stock which cannot be found in Singapore. And it was interesting, what with having to deposit our bags at a security counter and all. The array of products was also fascinating but alas, just as I began snapping, a salesgirl ran up to me shouting something unintelligible followed by "Khong Duoc". Considering she was pointing to my camera, I didn't ask her to give an English translation.




And I also managed to catch a snack at of Bun Rieu, which is crab noodle at a roadside stall. It was very decent, but not of the top class variety (which is laden with fresh crab meat) which is only to be expected since my dish cost less than one Singapore dollar...




And that was about all the stuff of note for this particular trip to Vietnam

No comments:

Post a Comment